Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Thus ends another academic year

I am officially finished with classes. I must say that I quite enjoyed the course material even though the actual classes themselves could be a drag at times. I was most surprised by my Byzantine Art & Architecture class. Registering for this course, I had only the vaguest idea what I was signing up for. My knowledge of Byzantine history has improved exponentially (though still remedial at best) and my appreciation for the art of that period has as well. I not only learned about art, architecture, and history throughout this area of the world, but also acquired a better understanding of the Eastern Orthodox church.

1204 AD

That date is known universally in Greece. All orthodox members know this year and continue to carry a grudge against the "West" for sacking and looting Constantinople. It occurred after the Eastern patriarch hired mercenaries from Venice, yet failed to pay them. These Venetians took what was owed to them from The City in the form of relics, sacred objects, and anything portable. The Greek Orthodox have never forgiven the desecration of their beloved city. Even today, Istanbul is referred to as "Constantinople" on street signs, maps, and the monitors in the airport.

No comments: