Friday, July 01, 2005

Taste of Chicago

It's the 25th Annual Taste of Chicago Festival!

(I know. At first, it meant nothing to me too.)

Every year, Chicagoans, and tourists alike partake in a very Chicagoan event. About 100 restaurants from around the city setup booths and sell the tastiest of their menu offerings. Some food items include: BBQ anything, Harey Carey fries, alligator pizza, steamed lobster tail, gyros, kelewele (plaintains roasted in garlic), chicken masala, crab-stuffed salmon, Bailey's ice cream, flan, frozen bananas...etc. The ethnic foods come out in force and make it worthwhile to fight the crowds and spend the money (which is quite a bit per food item). This weekend is the Taste's most busy. Three million people are expected to attend in three days. All those bodies sure don't help the thermometer.

In addition to the food, there are seven stages setup for various forms of entertainment, mostly musical. So far, I've seen a break-dancing troupe and some sort of mermaid/pirate diving show sponsored by a phone company.

Tomorrow, the Taste is hosting Santana at 4:30 PM! I'm so there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mermaid/Pirate shows... this is the kind of stuff I need to see/do.
-Chani

P.S. Read Saul Williams book (I posted a link in my livejournal) it is one of the best poems I have ever read.