Friday, January 12, 2007

I'm currently corresponding with a high school senior who wants to practice his English before going to college. He's technically not one of my students, but I enjoy his letters. I recently received this email from him. ... Read it to the end.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Dear Noelle


wow , really ? That's so interesting!

when I went to Seoul , I just saw high building , and many cars

( am I countryside guy? or , anachronism guy? :D(oh , anachronism is uncommon word?)

While you are enjoy spending time , I was in the hospital . just headache. but , soon, Feb , I'll take a surgery (nose , Deviated nasal septum) that is , I ' ll die :(

It is so painful (said doctor) . Just scared!

Casino Royale? huh, I just heard that name . at first, Casino Royale? hm , I think it is just past time movie name, but it is not! 2007 movie? oh , is it interesting?

ah, teacher , "I was not what I was!"

I thought that that sentence was very good sentence , but search engine "naver" , and search , that mean " destroy! " . very not good sentence (In America) since I knew it , I don't use this sentence anymore .

you are American , so you are know about good sentence. isn't it? recommend please (everything that you know)

haha , even though you are written about your trip , I written about English study sorry teacher :)

2.14,2007 the graduate day!

I' m so sorry to heard that you'll be back to March .


I want to see you

(I think this sentence gave me willies )

bye~~~ have a nice day~and god bless you!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

That second to last line has got to be the funniest bit of miscommunication I've encountered-ever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm confused. Did he profess his love to you?

Noellius said...

I don't believe he's professing his love, in that way. Korean's routinely tell others how much they like/love them. This letter is just stating how much he appreciates an English language partner...I hope.