(This one's for you Enforcer.)
Though it takes a while to explain to rules, Scrabble has been one of the most successful of all the lessons I've taught. My students have never heard of it, which isn't surprising since the Korean writing system isn't unilaterally horizontal, and thus the game couldn't have been adapted using hangeul. It was great to see the look of interest on their faces when they finally understood the game's concept.
All my students played the game. (I usually only have ~70% participation in every class.)
None of my students slept. (Which proves that it IS possible....I was beginning to despair.)
The lower-level students played as enthusiastically as the higher-level ones. (Almost never the case in regular class...with the exception of Speed Quiz.)
The students helped each other, unhesitatingly. (Helping classmates means everyone is exercising their English twice as much.)
Now, I have to admit...in the States, I'm TERRIBLE at this game. I generally make words like the, lord, rings, etc. I've also been known to invent new and exciting words like xrathero. But in Korea, there are no bad players! My English is infinitely better than my students and for the first time in my life, I've got the edge in this game.
Perhaps THAT'S why I love teaching it so much. ^^
2 comments:
You could use great words like "xrathero" in Korea. Your students wouldn't question your superior knowledge of the English language, would they? I guess that might be abuse of power though and kind of negate the teaching value of the game. I'm glad to hear you're spreading the wonders of Scrabble around the world!
I miss playing scrabble with all you guys! Even though I am even worse than you Noelle!
Enforcer, I could have used you while I was trying to motivate myself to get my proposal done. I think I need a photo of you looking disappointed and with the "is that homework?" look on your face to hang by my desk.
Post a Comment