Thursday, June 09, 2005

Kristina

Well, I've received multiple requests (which some would consider 'threats') to post.

My trip to Chicago was pretty uneventful...except for the Pasco airport. I was standing in line ready to go through security where the officer checks IDs to their corresponding boarding passes. Well, the woman looked at me in my jeans, sweatshirt, and tennis shoes and asked, "Are you under 18?" I cynically smiled and said, "No, but I look like it." She then received my driver's license that clearly stated my age...21. I wouldn't think twice about it, because I do indeed look younger than I am, but I was wearing a Notre Dame sweatshirt. I mean, chances are with that attire I'm ATTENDING ND. Hey, I'll love it when I'm 40 I suppose. I just better keep my ID on me for the time being...

...too bad I can't seem to find my license right now. I haven't unpacked yet, so I can't say I've lost it, but that's damn inconvenient when I'm carded everywhere. The Anthro Dept. is going out to a fun bar Friday after work, and I'd like to get in! There's always my passport...

I took a cab from O'Hare to Berwyn, a suburb of Chicago. The trip cost $30, which is cheaper than I thought it would be. Kristina gave me detailed descriptions of where her house was and what it looked like, so I could immediately pick it out. It's right on the corner of 34th. Here's my address by the way:

6600 34th Street
Berwyn, IL 60402

And I need to introduce Kristina, whom I consider the nicest woman in the world.

Kristina is a friend of Maura's, who lives in, you guessed it, Berwyn. Maura, hearing my plea for a place to stay, emailed all her Chicago buddies on the off-chance that one would have an extra room, couch, or hammock. Kristina responded in full! She said to Maura, "any friend of yours is a friend of mine." She offered her extra bedroom for the whole ten weeks, to a stranger of whom she knew needed a break. Kristina is a Greek American, very in touch with her roots. According to Maura, she's "SOOOOO SWEET."

However, I have yet to meet her. Currently, Kristina is IN GREECE taking an intensive language course in Modern Greek. Knowing that she wouldn't be here when I arrived, she left me detailed instructions on where the house key was, how to overcome the tricky door, and how to water the sod, as well as giving me access to her computer and train pass, and offering the use of her car to go pick up groceries. PSHAW! [Upon hearing this, Greg Hart said, "Have you ever won the lottery? I think you just did."]

Kristina returns on the 19th of June. Until then, I'm watering the lawn and keeping the house spotless for when the real estate agents come by to show the house. (Kristina's in the market for a condo downtown...which means I can help her move out and have a short transit to work.) In all, I get a place to stay, a city guide, a social connection, and a Greek buddy for the price of splitting utilities. BONUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have it made! Keep the posts coming and I will try to post about anything exciting on my lj. I have a feeling that if I keep posting, by the end of the summer I will have written 50 posts about the beach, at least you have the opportunity to diversify...seize it and have fun!

PS. At least they didn't ask you if you were over 15 at the Pasco airport...that is a bit more frustrating than 18 :) (although I guess at the time I was 19 so the age difference between actual and expected is pretty close...)
-Maria

Anonymous said...

Noelle...wow. That is the most ridiculously nice living situation for an internship. Is Kristina an ND person? That would explain an awful lot.

Oh, and I hope we'll be hearing about the fun had in the fun bar.