A funny thing happened yesterday. I was busily transcribing old correspondence between Lt. Emmons regarding accession file 807, when Brigitta came in an announced, "Noelle, security called and said you have visitors at the South Entrance." "What? But I don't know anyone in Chicago." "Well, they gave both your first and last name, so it must be legit." "Uh, ok...." So I took the south stair to the ticket lines and who should I find but The Gateses! Marie's family had taken a trip to Chicago for Mrs. Gates' birthday! They were so sweet to contact me. I remembered I had work to do, and couldn't show them around, but Mrs. Gates invited me to dinner with them later that evening.
After work, I slipped into the Field Museum Store and bought a cute little clay, three-legged pig, good-luck charm from Chile and a beautifully painted Chinese birthday card. We met up and headed over to Navy Pier. Dinner was at Riva's cafe, where I tried the crab cake sandwich. We strolled down to the end of the pier, stopping to read the historical plaques. Mrs. Gates decided she wanted to ride the Ferris Wheel, so Mr. & Mrs Gates, Thomas, Anne, and I all enjoyed the 7-minute ride and BEAUTIFUL view of Chicago. For dessert, we visited a great popcorn shop that I had seen featured in $40 a Day. The Gateses were nice enough to drive me to Union Station, and while in transit I presented Mrs. Gates with her charm. She was completely surprised and promised it would go on the ledge of her sink, with all her other trinkets. As I jumped out of their van and waved goodbye, I felt content with the fact that I can hold my own in a social situation (feeling comfortable talking to the adults as well as the kids), and happy that I contributed to a great birthday celebration for a family that has been so kind to me and made my day with a thoughtful visit.
1 comment:
If you are looking to succeed online then you need to seek out solid information on seo and seo
Post a Comment