Thursday, November 30, 2006

TKD revisited

I've started taekwondo again. I'm sore, and I've never felt better. I attend classes 3 times a week, 2 hours a session.

The first session is lower level kids, and we do fun stuff like run laps and jump over each other. [By the way, I'm terrified of this activity. Why? Because I don't want to smash a child, which is highly likely due to the fact that I jump like a walrus...if they even jump at all.] I say "lower level" because there's a blue, green, purple, and brown belt mixed in with all the red/black belts. This is a class that does the most random activities. One day we played soccer with a grapefruit sized balls and landing pads for goals. The next day was devoted to speeches by the students (memorized stories) followed by a series of tests that measured your physical aptitudes. You remember those stupid "fitness days" in grade school? Yeah, we did something along the same lines: how many punches in a minute (I matched the 12 year old black belt on this one), how many squats in a minute (I tied the 10 year old), how far can you jump with both feet ( I think I failed that one. See previous statement.)

I have a feeling that the Grand Master usually didn't teach this class...until I joined. I've only recently been taught by the Master (who generally does most of the teaching at taekwondo gyms). He's probably my age, but as far as I can tell doesn't speak a word of English. He's very kind though. He's really cares about the kids and looks like he has fun every day. I wish I knew more, but can't really strike up a conversation, in a foreign language, mid-front kick. I'm working on getting his story. Baby steps...just like taekwondo.

I've given the kids American nicknames. I know it sounds terrible making up entirely different names because I couldn't remember their Korean ones, but, truthfully, they absolutely loved it! These kids have never had a foreign teacher before (perhaps never met a foreigner before) and felt so special being given an American nickname. I assigned names according to who the kids' faces remind me of. Thus, the first kid I named was "Mark" because he looks like Mark Hammill in Star Wars. I've also got a Jon, Natalie, Cody, Clay, Cole, Christian, Chris, Drew, Kayla, Nick, Sean, Cassie, Eric, Brian, Evan, and Charlie (yes, because he looks like Charlie Brown, bald and all).

The second session is all upper level kids. No one (besides me and my host brother) has lower than a red/black belt. I'm not going to lie, the first week was quite embarrassing. I hate being a spectacle and cannot avoid being one there. Remember in grade school when you couldn't hit a baseball and had to wait for your turn to let the team down? Yep, it's kinda like that...only there aren't any points, just your dignity. It is, needless to say, humbling in every sense of the word. The students take turns teaching me individually at the back. I feel awful tearing them away from a class that they're paying for, but on the other hand, I speak English to them, so they're getting another lesson for free. Picture this: Noelle in her yellow belt, learning the first poomse* from a 9 year old...and being schooled. He was so good! Nick sangsaenim ("teacher") used two words of English during his lesson, "Again," and "No." ...

Whenever I do join the 2nd class students in group activites, I forget that I'm 23 and revert to my past emotional state in middle school P.E. "Oh please don't let me embarrass myself," is the common inner monologue. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. A typical class goes kinda like this. "What the hell is that?" "Oh, that's just a backwards roundhouse, double front kick combo." *Noelle blinks* "So, what do I do?" *student shrugs*

For all that, the kids are extremely supportive and encouraging. They don't seem to make fun of me (at least that I can see), and the girls think of me as an "oni" ("older sister") according to my Grand Master. I love these kids. Photos coming soon.

Two poomse down, one to go to test for a blue belt, six to go until I test for a black belt.
- - - - - - - - - - -
*poomse (also called "forms")

"A Poomse (Form) is a pattern of pre-arranged Taekwondo moves, consisting of blocks, strikes and kicks.
While performing a Poomse, the Taekwondo practitioner uses his/her techniques to fight off imaginary opponents, attacking from multiple directions. Each of the WTF forms (Taegeuk 1-8) and all Black Belt forms (from Koryo to Ilyo) begin with defensive blocking techniques that are followed by counter attacks.

Each Poomse is to be practiced so many times that it can be performed without a thought (having to think of what the next move, direction or stance would be). Only after practicing a form, hundreds of times, will the student begin to understand its meaning."

http://www.academictaekwondo.com/poomse.htm

No comments: