This weekend we had a girls' trip out. My host mom and sisters and I traveled to the east coast of Korea. We went to Yeongdeok, which is a town famous for crab. It was delicious.This town sure knew what it was selling. There were giant crab statues, crab bridges, crab arches, crab yard art. It was awesome. Unless you're a crab.
The sidestreets were lined with crab aquariums and restaurants. There were hundreds of crabs crammed into the small pools. I felt pity for the poor things--crawling all over each other, living only to be steamed to death. In general, I don't have a problem eating meat. I hate watching my food die, though. Cant' help it.
We did indeed eat crab for dinner. At first, I said, "Oh, they're so cute. Oh, it's so sad." But then revised my statement to, "Oh, but they're so delicious," and finished off with, "It was a good death." SO tasty. To end dinner, they gave us some mixed rice and guess what they put it in. The top of the crab's head, flipped over. So, there I was, literally staring down into the eyes of the suculant creature I just ate while finishing the meal. Again, it was delicious.
Here are some photos of the beach where we stopped to skip rocks. My head is so big compared to my host family's. Look at that noggin! Luckily they measure up to my height, though I think this just points out the disproportion of my face to body. But I digress.
Yeongdeok trip = fun



No comments:
Post a Comment