Sunday, September 09, 2007

Golden Bell

I've made my television debut in Korea!

Pungsan High School was invited to participate in the Golden Bell game show. I was invited back to Andong to join in the festivities. It was a blast! (Except, they put make-up on me. I
was FORCED to wear stuff on my face. They covered all of my freckles! Well, they tried...I wiped it off in the bathroom ;) ) I asked a question in English, microphone, camera and all, and chatted with the students.

Golden Bell is a quiz game show. 100
students answer 50 questions. If you reach #50 with all correct answers, you ring the golden bell and win an awesome scholarship to college, a trip abroad, and other stuff. One kid got all the way to question 49, but missed the final one. I was hoping Pureum would make it all the way, but she went out around question 40 or so. I'm still proud of her!

Jen and I made awesome signs to cheer on the students. I thought mine was particularly clever: We BELLieve in you. Cute, right?

I met the MC and his beautiful assistant, who happens to be almost exactly my age. The MC asked if I live in Seoul, asked if I drank alcohol, and asked for my phone number. Well, the conversation wasn't ONLY him asking those questions. It sounds much shadier than it actually is. I gave him my phone number because I doubt he'll ever call. And if he does call, I'll probably not know who the hell he his and decline his invitation. In fact, I have no idea what his name is. hahaha I'll have to look that up. An interesting fact, though, is that the MC majored in Spanish in college. That's a really rare thing in Korea. Spanish is almost unheard of here. So, we spoke a little in Spanish to each other (what I could remember) and he seemed genuinely impressed. I was impressed with his awesome English, but was distracted by his pink and purple striped tie and shiny gray suit. I wonder if he dresses himself...


No comments: