Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Electronic Beowulf

While watching bad Korean TV (they only buy rights to show terrible movies on obscure channels at weird times) I came across an American movie. I was excited to FINALLY find something in my native language. I couldn't figure out what the movie was called, so I looked at the upper corner of the screen where the title was written in Korean.

At first, I thought it said, "전자 배울프"(jeon-ja bae-ul-puh). I snickered for only half a second, but then shrugged at the title. 전자 means electronic. Thus, I translated it to: Electronic Beowulf. Now, after spending 19 months in Korea, I find it perfectly possible (indeed likely) to watch a movie with such a title. It would not surprise me in the least that the Korean broadcasting powers-that-be thought a movie like
Electronic Beowulf would entertain Korean audiences. I mean, what's not to like? It's based on a classic tale, and it's got a futuristic twist (not to mention incredible CG effects - sarcasm).

Then I looked a little more closely at the title. Instead, it read, "전사 배울프" (jeon-
sa bae-ul-puh). Translation: Warrior Beowulf. ... Utter disappointment. "Damn," I thought, "This isn't going to be as awesomely bad as it should be in Korea. *Click.

No comments: