I've just arrived to Athens and it is beautiful.
My flight to Frankfurt was one of the best I've taken. Lufthansa really knows how to fly.
I arrived at the Athens airport at 1 PM. Unfortunately I was a little motion sick (which doesn't happen very often). We met up with CYA (College Year in Athens) and paid 30 Euro for a taxi. I thought that was an extremely large amount, but then again, it was a 15 minute ride to our apartment. The cab ride was awesome. The car was a bright yellow Mercedes in pristine condition. (Dad would have enjoyed that.) Even better was the way the guy drove. I always thought those chase scenes on movies, where the car swerves back and forth through slower traffic, were exaggerations. I was wrong. The great thing is, I wasn't scared of him crashing because 1. He was in total control and 2. It was a Mercedes in pristine condition suggesting he hasn't wrecked it yet.
Katie and I are rooming in an apartment with four other girls. We've met two of them (from DePaul) and my first impression is that they are both very nice. One grew up near Missoula but is now living in Chicago.
I have to make a 75 Euro deposit for my phone, library, and other privileges. I'll get the deposit back, so at least I know I'll be leaving the country with at least 75 Euro.
I'm a little intimidated by the language here. It is so different than anything I've ever been exposed to. The good thing is that all of the street signs spell out the Greek words with letters from the English alphabet. [What is the English alphabet really called, anyway?]
Other good news: Katie and I found our way to the Academic Center just fine. I know for certain I won't be trying to jaywalk anytime soon.
PS: I've seen half a dozen or so of those minute cars...only 7 feet long. Paul would call them "Noelle size." Maria, insert piccolo joke...I know you want to.
No comments:
Post a Comment