Saturday, January 29, 2005

Second Day of Classes

So the second day of classes went as well as the first.


Byzantine Art & Architecture:
Prof. Coulson
quote, "You will be able to give walking tours of the churches when you're done with this class."
Although there is a lot of reading, the main focus of this course is visual. Everyday we'll be viewing lots of slides so we can see what we're studying. Also, this course has three field trips to amazing churches, museums, and monasteries.

Attic Tragedy:
Prof. Anna Lamari
quote, "The word tragedy means 'chorus of men singing together, dressed up like goats.'"
(I'm not kidding, that's an actual quote.)
This is by far the biggest class I have, with only ~25 people. We'll be studying the plays of Oedipus written by Sophocles, Aeschylus, and Euripides. Rumor has it we'll also be performing one of them. I just hope I won't have to play Antigone.

The male to female student ration here is 1:2.7 I think it adds an interesting dynamic to our classes. (This is especially the case with Gender & Sexuality because there are only two guys in a room full of 15 women.)

No comments: