Ok, so this post has nothing to do with Greece, except that it happened to occur at CYA.
So Katie and I were eating lunch, and she left to go check her email. Now, those of us who know Katie understand how much time she needed. Therefore, I was left to finish my kiwi and coffee...alone. This happened to be perfectly fine with me. Halfway through my kiwi I notice a guy at the other table. He was obviously studying some really hard ancient Greek passage and was looking around while translating in his head. I looked at him a minute then thought, "Hm..." Being the random person that I am (which means, I am not very random at all, just sporadically, which may add another dimension to my randomness), I went over and sat down at the guy's table. Here's the conversation we had:
Noelle: "What's your name?"
Aaron: "Aaron."
Noelle: "I'm Noelle" *shake hands
Aaron: "Nice to meet you."
Noelle: "I was just wondering if anyone ever told you, you look like Michael Shanks."
Aaron: "No, no they haven't. I don't know who that is."
Noelle: "Have you ever seen Stargate?"
Aaron: "Unfortunately no. I'm a Star Wars fan myself. I was never into Star Trek or Stargate."
Noelle: "My roommate is a huge Star Wars fan. She even setup a Sci-Fi club at her school and named it...well, the Federation or something, nominating herself...Jedi Master of it or something like that."
Aaron: "Oh."
Noelle: "You haven't seen the movie or SG-1?"
Aaron: "No, I'm sorry."
Noelle: "Oh, you bear a striking resemblence to him."
Aaron: "Why...thank you...Where are you from?"
Noelle: "Washington state...southeastern WA."
Aaron: "Oh, I know a couple people here who are from WA."
Noelle: "Yeah, I'm nowhere near Seattle. Where are you from?"
Aaron: "Arkansas, I go to the University of Arkansas."
Noelle: "You have no accent."
Aaron: "Thanks? I'm the only one in my family without a noticeable draw."
Noelle: "Now that you told me, I can hear it a little bit."
Aaron: "Well, there you go."
Noelle: "Have you ever had a fried twinkie?"
Aaron: ...."No, I can't say that I have."
Noelle: "All the people I know from Arkansas eat friend twinkies."
Aaron: "Well, I don't like twinkies in the first place, so I don't want to eat them fried either."
Noelle: "A guy at Notre Dame at four of those for Thanksgiving last year. They're each around 50 grams of fat. Not the smartest kid...even though he got into Notre Dame."
Aaron: "Ew." *polite chuckle
Noelle: "Are you here for the year?"
Aaron: "Yeah."
Noelle: "Are you a Classicist?"
Aaron: "Yes I am."
Noelle: "Wow." *gives thanks that she never has to be a Classicist "I just saw you over here looking pensive, so I thought I'd sit down."
Aaron: "Thanks. You go to Notre Dame?"
Noelle: "Yeah."
Aaron: "There are a lot of you this semester. Not so many last semester though."
Noelle: "That's probably because of football. No one wants to miss the season."
Aaron: "Yeah, I missed that the most in the fall...college football."
Noelle: "Well, we didn't have a very good season this year, so they didn't miss much. We made it all the way to the prestigious Insight.com Bowl."
Aaron: "Hey, the Insight Bowl isn't a bad bowl game. Our team was there just a couple years ago."
Noelle: "Oh really?"
Aaron: "You got a new coach now, even though the last one wasn't that bad. Weiss will be good."
Noelle: "Yeah. Ty's coaching at UW now and we play them next year in Seattle. That'd be a cool game to go to, but I sincerely doubt they'll send us over there. Oh, I'm in the band."
Aaron: "Well, you could just fly back and stay with your family."
Noelle: "I guess, but that'd cost a plane ticket and I'm not that much of a football fan."
Aaron: Then it became obvious that he just wanted to finish his damn homework and that this girl must be hitting on him or something. Flattering as it was, he was a little weirded out. *smiles...pause... "Well, I have to do my homework now." *gets up with stuff
Noelle: "Yeah, I have to get going too."
Aaron: "Nice meeting you." *while getting the hell out of there
I think he thought I was flirting or hitting on him, but didn't want to be rude so kept on talking. He looked a little uncomfortable and didn't make much eye contact. However, that was in no way my intention. In actuality, I simply wanted to know if he ever got told he looked like Michael Shanks. Mission accomplished.
3 comments:
Yeah ... you just wanted to ask if he looks like Michael Shanks ... sure Noelle ... we know you dig him.
-Andrew
Sure Noelle. I know that you happen to really like Daniel...it would be like me going up to someone who looked like Sawyer (though I probably wouldn't have had as long a conversation, he would have got up and ran in the other direction).
-Maria
MICHAEL SHANKS LOOKALIKE! And you didn't get a picture for me!? Darn you! ~SHAELAH
Post a Comment