Friday, September 01, 2006

Cutsie Culture #3


Stationary. Koreans love stationary. However, this isn't the simple colored, unlined stationary like in the U.S. Nooooo. It's beatifully decorated with some Korean or English quote about love in the top corner. Where American stationary is utilitarian, Korean stationary is profound...in a bad English kind of way.

Exhibit A:

I found this stationary and was so tickled I bought it, even though I haven't written on a single sheet yet. Across the center of the sheet, gold leafing reads, "As I look out to opened window of silent evening sky your sleeping image suddenly dawns upon me. Like there are many stars up in the sky, my words for you in this paper resemble tiny bits of seeds." I kid you not. It exists.

The greatest part is the message in the corner. "You also gave me more time to think about you as I fall asleep." Um. I understand where they're trying to go with this one, but think about the situation a bit. How can a person give another more time? The person writing this letter totally isn't getting any. In fact, this is probably "I screwed up," "Forgive me" stationary. Haha. I guess even break-ups are cutsie in Korea.

No comments: