Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Birthday Surprises

First, thank you for all the birthday wishes. It means so much to me.

This time of year could have been difficult (with Halloween, my birthday, etc.), but hasn't because of incredible support (cards, notes, emails, presents) from my family, home friends, college friends, ETA friends, host family, co-workers, and students.

This morning I came into work and was ushered into the center of the teacher's room. One teacher had informed the vice-principal of my birthday and he bought a chocolate cake. They lit the candles (two tall, three short for 23) then sang the Korean version of Happy Birthday. The principal gave a short speech, of which I understood nothi
ng other than the gestures to blow out the candles and cut the cake...which I did rather un-elegantly. I was then instructed to eat the cake and given chopsticks. It had never occurred to me that I would need to eat cake with chopsticks. And yes, it is as difficult as it sounds. The Koreans make it easier by making rather dry cakes that hold together, but it's difficult nonetheless. I'm happy to report I didn't drop cake down the front of my shirt, but then again, I ate very little cake out of sheer terror I would do just that.

The teacher who told the VP (Choi Nan-mi) is gradually taking me under her wing. Her husband is an English teacher, so her English is pretty good. In fact, I speak more English to her than I've ever spoken to the other English teachers (except Mr. Lee). She told me over lunch, "The vice-principal was glad it was your birthday, so he had a chance to thank you." "Thank me? For what?" "For the present you gave him from America, and teaching the students." "I get paid for that. Cakes aren't necessary!" Thus, I feel I've won over most of my co-workers through incessant bribery. Eh, I'm ok with that. Now, if only I could win over my students.

I was completely shocked by some students' reactions to hearing it was my birthday. One 2nd grader stopped me in the hall on his way to lunch and said, "Happy Birthday." I was floored. "Thanks! Guess how old I am." "21." "Nope, 23." He then shrugged as if any age over 18 was the same difference to him.

The 1-1 students all gasped, hooted, and hollered when I told them it was my birthday. It almost made me blush.

My 1-3 class actually sang happy birthday to me after taking roll. The students all smiled at me and gave me a simply fantastic feeling.

Min-yung, my host sister in 1st grade, left a giftbag on my desk with a cutsie pen and two purple barretts inside. Awwww...I'm totally gonna wear them tomorrow.

Finally, a 1-1 student named Sera hand crafted a birthday card. She presented it to me with a donut after school. Inside the card reads:

To Noelle

Noelle~:) I'm Sera~
I didn't know today is your birthday. Happy birthday, Noelle ~!!^^ Um...I don't know what you like so I thought so much. Finally, I decided that I give some cookies to you. I hope you lke it :) Noelle, I think you may be a little lonely in Korea. However!! You will like Korea soon. Then, Happy birthday to you again.
From Sera

She blushed profusely when she gave it to me. What a sweet, sweet girl. I just realized that I don't know her Korean name and am blushing myself.

I will treasure this card.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww :)