Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sports Day

So, Korean schools have this "Sports Day" where for one day in the semester, the students actually have fun.

It was strange to see them all in normal clothes. Everyone was smiling, no one was sleeping. It was brilliant.

At the end of the day, one team was awarded first place. The principal handed over a trophy...but then went into a speech where he told the students to forget that day's fun because it was back to studying. "The Korean SAT is in 6 months," he said. Everyone in the crowd groaned and lowered their heads. Way to ruin the mood Mr. Funkiller Principal!

Honestly, I thought that was the meanest thing he could've done at that point. It hadn't even been 15 minutes from the end of the activities. Ugh. I mean, come on. They worked so hard to put that day together. He should be telling them to REMEMBER the day. They should REMEMBER and hold onto the feeling of accomplishment at having setting up and competing and working as a team. Sometimes I loathe the Korean educational system and its stupid goals and hierarchy. I wanted to take all my students to North America right then, so I could see them actually be allowed to enjoy it. But, alas, I couldn't. This problem's bigger than me.

1 comment:

Filipina said...

if they were allowed to enjoy until the night,you would still see them crestfallen the next morning to start up a dreadful day again. he's teaching students when to enjoy when to stop.. i guess. .