Thursday, February 10, 2005

Happy Birthday in Greek

Today in Greek we learned the "birthday" song. It is very different from the American version. In fact, our teacher, Marienetta says that she thinks the American song is, "quite stupid" because "it doesn't say anything except happy birthday and the person's name."

The Greek version:

Να ζησειs...
και χρονια πολλα.
Μεγαλοs να γινειs
με ασπρα μαλλια.
Παγτου να σκορηιζειs
τηs γνωσηs το φωs
και ολοι να λενε
να εναs/μια σοφοs.

Which translates roughly to:

To life...(insert name, plus familiar ending "aki" or "iki")
and for many years.
To become old
with white hair.
Everywhere to spread
the light of knowledge
And everyone to say
"there's a wise person."

As you can see, it is more a toast than a silly song sung while blowing out candles. I like it. Perhaps I'll use it when I return to the States. Marienetta upon teaching us the tune, handed out little pastries. She did this because, "When it is someone's birthday, we have to celebrate. And because we are Greek, celebration means food." It was yummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That rocks! I totally like that Happy Birthday song better than the one we sing. The teacher is right, it is a stupid song because all you say is their name and "Happy Birthday". Please teach it to us when you return! Also, I love the fact that no matter what the culture...celebration means food!
-Maria

Anonymous said...

Hey, if there’s any way of having a birthday song in which people are able to sing the same note at the same time, I’m all for it. I liked the “there’s a wise person” bit – Greece seems to have a big thing with wisdom, no?

- Matt