Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Cutsie Culture #1

If I had to describe Korean culture in one word, it would be "cutsie." Everything here has some sort of cutefying touch. Pigs happily smile on the front of pork restaurants, notebooks feature smiling croissants, stickers feature smiling dead fish. Yeah. I've seen all of these. All office materials and school supplies are cute colors with funny or inspirational phrases. Koreans want you to feel good when you see your things. Thus, a simple eraser becomes a mini pop-tart box with a cute, freckly girl being reminded to "Just Heat in Toaster" and enjoying the "Sweet 100%" and "Imitation Strawberry Flavor."

You have to see this stuff to believe it. [And it really does make you happy.]


Hence, I hereby establish the Korean "Cutsie Culture" series. It will be an ongoing project until...well, almost everything here is cutsie, so don't hold your breath for the capping post.



Part one: "You're so a cute tomboy! I hope to love your freshness."

Erin came upon this gem in one of the many stationary stores. Searching for the perfect folder (to hold papers), Erin knew she'd found the perfect complement to her loose leaf.

No comments: