Friday, August 11, 2006

Language Class Graduation

I graduated...again! This time it was from my Korean language program. I'm proud to say that I graduated with a 92% (one of my proudest achievements to date). I couldn't believe it! My language class was administered by Korean University in Seoul, and is one of the reasons the Korean F*lbright ETA program is such a fantastic program. Thus, our graduation ceremony was a big deal. Representatives from KU and the F*lbright office joined our teachers in handing out certificates of achievement. Now, just take a look at that certificate in the photo. It is set within a red velvet folio with gold colored leafing. It is nicer than my college diploma. Wow. We also got free t-shirts from KU. No matter how many free t-shirts I get, it's always really exciting to add another one to my collection.

Last night, the beginning classes went out noraebaanging with our teachers. 노래방 (pr. noh-ray-bahng) means singing house. Basically, it's a place to karaoke with food, drinks, and friends. Our teachers really did love us to subject themselves to bad renditions of Take On Me, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Livin' on a Prayer. A couple students sang Born in the U.S.A, but replaced U.S.A. with the Korean equivalent, 미국 (pr. mee-gook). "We were booooorn in the meegook land."...and so on.

The males sang Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight and, again, inserted Korean phrases. "Sansaengnims, you look yeboyo tonight." 여뻐요 (pr. yeh-boy-yoh) means "pretty" or "beautiful." Our teachers got up and sang too! They're so wonderful. They cried at the class day of class and today at the ceremony. They said that they feel a "special connection" with the ETAs because they saw us for so many consecutive hours. In fact, the teachers lived in the same dorm as us. Both of my teachers said, "If you ever are in trouble, call me." I hope not to contact her under those circumstances, but I'll definitely text message her.

No comments: