Andong is capital of Korean traditional culture. The population is about 190,000 and it is considered very rural by Korean standards. Andong doesn't have many foreigners visit...actually, very few at all. I mean, I'm probably one of a handful of foreigners total in the city. So, when I walk into Emart (think Carrefour or a four-story Target), EVERYONE stares at me. In fact, anywhere I go people stare. I've been politely smiling back and have avoided eye contact so they can continue staring until they are disinterested. However, I soon found out that an American in Andong will always be interesting. It's one of the most alien experiences I've ever had. To have an entire store stare at you when you walk in the door is a little unnerving. Most adults look away when I make eye contact with them, but many children continue to stare and walk into walls, trees, or other people in the process. All students learn English here, so sometimes the kids say a couple words in English, but mostly they stare until they hit something solid. The elderly stare as well, only theirs is more like a interrogative glare.
However, it can be flattering as well. The kids at my school, when they first saw me, widened their eyes and gaped. hahaha It was hilarious. My host family says that most people are shocked to see blue eyes and curly hair. (It's incredibly humid here, so my hair hasn't been straight since I left the States.) According to my host sister, the students say that I am "cute." This probably means that I'm not the tall, gangly male ETA that preceeded me. I've never been described as cute before, but apparently this is the adjective of choice when describing female American teachers. Everyone made a point to stop by the teacher's room to get a look at the migook (American). Korean teens are generally shy, so they looked at me, then lowered their faces and covered their mouths with their hands immediately after. I couldn't help but internally laugh. Not only are all material goods "cutsie" here, but the way Koreans act is cute as well.
So, I hope the students like me as much after I start assigning essays. hahahaha
Get this. I met with my principal and Mr. Lee (my co-teacher) was translating. At one point Mr. Lee says, "The principal says you are very delicate." ... ... uhhhhh ... ... yeah. I've never thought of myself or have been described as 'delicate' ... ever. I'm still trying to figure out the connontation of that one. Lost in translation.
No comments:
Post a Comment